Thursday, February 25, 2016

Butterfly Lovers


It has been a long time since I last attended a Singapore Symphony Orchestra (SSO) concert. And what better time than to do it since they are performing one of my all-time favourites - Butterfly Lovers in the newly refurbished Victoria Concert Hall.

The conductor for this concert was one of China's most prominent conductors, Zheng Xiao Ying. At the age of 86, she is still extremely energetic and full of passion for her craft. Although I didn't attend the pre-concert talk, she made the pieces relevant to the audience by explaining the story/ interesting snippets/history of each piece before the piece was performed. I thought that was rather cool and made the concert more accessible to people, especially when there was a large group of students in the audience.

Baby S seemed to be enjoying the concert as well as she was actively kicking for almost 1.5 hours! When I told the hub that, he claims that was a figment of my imagination. I refuse to give in to that argument.

Anyway, after the concert, I met the hub for supper at Prive @ ACM. Just feeling peckish, I ordered the banana walnut loaf and a cup of hot milo. I like it that the banana cake was neither too dense nor too sweet. A french couple was sitting beside us and I was literally salivating at their beef burgers. We made a mental note to return for their brunch one of these days.

With another about 15 weeks to go, I'm not sure how many more concerts/ plays I can squeeze in before Baby S takes centre stage in our lives. I'll end this post with a quote from Nietzsche,

"Without music, life would be a mistake".

How true!

No comments:

Post a Comment