Monday, January 2, 2012

Wonders of Nature

Today, I learnt that Singapore is not made up of concrete jungle. A very impromptu plan brought us to this very serene and beautiful part of Singapore. We definitely did not plan to walk for 4 hours but had a great sense of satisfaction at the end of the walk. It was a work out better than any sessions at the gym.

Saw lots of monkeys along the way. As you can see, I took this picture at the opposite side of the boardwalk as I was afraid that the monkeys would snatch my camera or attack me. Yes, I am that afraid of animals but it's always good to err on the side of caution especially after the recent report of attack by mongrels residing in the park.

Couldn't resist taking the photo. You wouldn't think this is Singapore at the first glance. Nature at its best. At this point, we were 1 to 1.5 hours into our walk and we were not at all tired yet.

Along the way and amidst the greenery, we spotted a whole patch of red flowering plants. Even noticing little details like that made us happy. See how easily contented we are. Happiness is that simple.

I like this part of the walk. We were actually just next to a golf course and we could see people putting and swinging their clubs. But the narrow pathway was framed by this dried up looking grass. I guess many of my pictures did not do justice to the beauty of the place. You have to see and experience the place for yourself to understand what I am talking about.

What makes walks like that interesting is to constantly watch out for interesting signboards, flowers and even trying to spot animals. Besides the monkeys, we also saw a squirrel, some chameleons and many beautiful butterflies.

And after walking for nearly 3 hours, we reached our destination: the treetop walk. I am someone who's very afraid of heights, so it took a lot for me to cross this bridge. Some may feel cheated cos it's such a short bridge that took so long to get to; for me I am just glad to get it over and done with. It's one way so that there is no option for you to turn back. You just gotta do it. While you are on it, you can see bird's nests and have a good view of the canopy. We didn't manage to see any animals though.

Let me leave you with an interesting poem by John Muir which I think very nicely sums up today's adventure:

Nature is at work
building and pulling down,
creating and destroying,
keeping everything whirling and flowing,
allowing no rest
but in rhythmical motion,
chasing everything in endless song
out of one beautiful form into another.

We need to learn to appreciate nature more.

No comments:

Post a Comment