Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Versailles

The last time I went to Versailles was more than 6 years ago. Then, I was a poor student who could only afford the most basic ticket. Now, not only did Versailles change their ticketing system, I am also surprised to find out that they actually loan the audio guides out for free! The grounds of the palace was humongous and we actually spent a full day there. I pre-booked the tickets online before we flew to Paris, thus we needn't queue, which was a good thing. I almost fainted when I saw the snaking queue at the ticketing office.

The reason for this picture: They were showcasing the chairs they use in their parliament where each minister would sit on the chair embroidered with subjects associated with his minstry. Here I am posing in front of the 'Education chair'. It is actually quite interesting to guess and try to identify the different chairs for the different portfolios.

The famous Hall of Mirrors. The last time I went there, I didn't like it at all as there was a very strong ammonia stench. Luckily, it was very clean this time round. I think Versailles seeks to constantly reinvents itself. In the past, you wouldn't hear of exhibitions held here. It is simply a royal palace for tourists. Nowadays, you hear of all sorts of exhibitions; in fact, a Murakami exhibition was held here in this hall not too long ago. When we were there, they were having an exhibition of royal thrones.

I love gardens, especially french gardens with their conical-shaped trees and pretty little flowers. The garden at Versailles was huge and it took us quite a while to walk through the garden to get to the other side of the palace.

An example of a sleeping quarters of the crown prince and princess who in french is known as the dauphin and dauphine (in case you think it sounds like the sea creatures, dolphines, you are right! It's meant to be this way!)

One of my greatest regret the last time I went to Versailles was that I did not visit the Trianons, both petit and grand. This time, I was determined to do so. After lunch, we slowly strolled to the trianon where it used to be Marie Antoinette private quarters. Louis XVI gave it to her as a present so that she would not be disturbed and she could do whatever she likes. I like the architecture of the trianon where they have spacious corridors and airy windows. Must have been quite a joy to live here..

The teacher in me can't help but stop to take this photograph. You never know when it is going to come in useful in the classroom someday :)

And the most surprising thing I found out about Versailles was the hamlet a.k.a villages. It seems that Marie Antoinette had these villages artificially constructed so that she could kinda play pretend in them; pretending to be a peasant and etc. These cottages were beautiful and it had undescribable charm. Many of these buildings are no longer in use because the stairs are in a state of desrepair and so on. However, there is still activity going on in this part of Versailles. They are growing vegetables and rearing animals like goats, donkeys, cows and horses in here, so it seems like a mini zoo. I was really intrigued by this area and wish I can stay there longer. And did I mention we nearly got lost?! Luckily, we managed to find our way out.

Initially I thought I would be bored visiting Versailles as I have done so before. But I was wrong. I saw familiar things with new eyes and is glad that I am able to discover new things that I never thought existed. This, is the joy of travelling, n'est pas?

No comments:

Post a Comment