Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Books Actually


Every year I have a budget of 400 bucks given by my employer for me to spend on something useful for my professional and personal development. For the past 2 years, I have been spending the entire sum on buying books. Initially, I wanted to do something different with the money this year. I wanted to jump onto the bandwagon of being a ipad user. But after giving the matter much thought, I decided I just wanted to be the good old-fashion book lover. Nothing beats the feel of running your fingertips through the pages and the satisfaction of seeing your books sitting perfectly still on your shelves. As Cicero says, " A home without books is a body without soul". One day, reading will be a lost art.

This evening, with what little ounce of energy I have left, I marched into Books Actually and bought books to my heart's content. The picture posted here is the evidence of my loot. From children's cookbook to local playwrights, I try to read a variety. Afterall, "reading is the basic tool in the living of a good life" - Joseph Addison (English essayist/ poet). In today's busy society, I wonder how many have the real luxury of living a good life... I do hope anyone who reads this blog has the good fortune of leading one.


No comments:

Post a Comment