Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Labour Day Weekend

My fun and excitement started on Saturday, 1st of May. It was an unexpected surprise. After dinner, I thought we were heading home when someone told me that we were heading for dessert. And I still thought nothing of it, though I thought it was quite strange that my opinion was not consulted on whether or not I wanted to eat some more. It was only when we entered the Esplanade Concert Hall that my dearest husband revealed that he had bought the tickets to Lisa Ono's Live Concert!!! I have always wanted to catch Lisa Ono on stage but never had the chance to.

This is Lisa Ono's third concert in Singapore and she is only here for a night. The first part of the concert went by quite slowly but the performance after the intermission was good. She sang a variety of French, Portuguese, English and even Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese and Japanese songs. And many of these songs are familiar tunes to our ears. She initially ended the concert with Rasa Sayang and Beganwan Solo, but sang more with two encores. Finally, the evening ended with What a Wonderful World.

For those who are not familiar to Lisa Ono, she is of Japanese parentage but was born and raised in Brazil. That explains her ability to sing an eclectic mix of songs. I first fell in love with her voice when I heard her french album. Then, I just returned from Paris and was crazy about anything french. She has a very unique and special voice quality that is in between sounding husky, sultry and sweet. Listening to her sing never fail to relax me. And for that, I would really like to thank my lovely husband for planning this surprise and keeping in under wraps for nearly a month. I know how hard it is to keep a surprise.


The whole entire weekend was so hectic for me. The next day after the concert, we headed out to Kukup for a 2 day 1 night trip with fellow church mates. It was my first trip to the fishing village and initially, we didn't really like the idea of staying in a chalet style accommodation, after being so used to our luxurious hotel stays. However, as the day and night progresses, I find myself experiencing lots of new stuff. We drove from Singapore to Kukup, but had to catch a short ferry ride to our final destination. It was kind of cool to alight at the kelong and had to walk on wooden planks.

After a short sharing session and a nap, we were getting ready for dinner. It was endless eating and sleeping for the 2 days there. There was always so much food. While we were waiting for the BBQ seafood dinner to be ready, I watched in anticipation as Pastor Matthew pulled in a huge catfish. I had never seen real fishing in action and thus, this is an eye opener for me. The seafood dinner was great and delicious. I had the most delicious prawn fritter I had ever tasted.

And although I was already quite tired with all the travelling and laughing by then, there was some more excitement to come. One of them decided to buy some fireworks and we took turns to light it up. This is exciting because we can never do this in Singapore. And there is so many kinds of fireworks available. There is the bumblebee fireworks that sizzles and flies off like a bee, there is the rocket fireworks that shoots of like a rocket and etc. etc. It is a pity that I didn't manage to catch many photographs of the fireworks as it ended off too quickly. Below are the only 2 I managed to capture on my camera.



We ended the night with a surprise birthday cake for Sayori. She looked rather touched by the gesture Sis Jocelyn put in by getting her a cake and present. The next day after breakfast and more sharing, we packed our bags and left the kelong for more seafood lunch. All in all, it is a very value for money experience that I think all should at least experience once in their lifetime.


No comments:

Post a Comment