Thursday, June 21, 2012

Art & Zagreb

I didn't expect to see a culturally and artistically vibrant Zagreb as most people don't have many exciting things to say about this capital city. But then again, sometimes we have to ask ourselves from whose lenses are we looking at things. Personally, I enjoy discovering these street art whenever I turn a corner. There is this element of surprise; of finding something you did not expect to find. I also see a sense of humour in these pieces. And it is important to have this ability to express yourself freely. To others, especially from where I was born and bred, this is simply grafitti, something which would get you into serious trouble with the law.




 

Italy has Bernini and Michaelangelo and France has Rodin. In Croatia, the revered artist/sculptor of all time has gotta be Ivan Mestrovic. His works are all over Croatia and displayed in many public spaces. This artistic aspect of Zagreb was a pleasant surprise to me. Interesting!


No comments:

Post a Comment