Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Be My Valentine

We don't usually celebrate V day. We are just using it as an excuse to make time for each other. And we don't believe in filling the pockets of creative merchants selling us overpriced set dinners. Since I came to learn of this free concert, we decided to go for it. It's not that I am stingy, I just feel that one does not need to spend a lot of money to make someone feel loved. If you are sincere and truly loving, everyday should be a V day.

It's the first time I'm hearing the philwinds. They are not perfect but I guess it's good enough for a free concert. Reminds me of the days when I was in charge of band. I like their selection of songs for the night though. A good mixture of oldies and pop. And the best part was, they played quite a number of my favourites - "I need to be in love" by The Carpenters, "Snow. Wolf. Lake" by Jacky Chung etc. They even played a Whitney Houston's piece in remembrance of her. I think free concerts like this is definitely a good way to reach out to the masses. At least it allows more people to be exposed and because of the repetoire, it is easily accepted (at least you won't fall asleep) and palatable to most people. We see many young ones at the concert, but there are quite a number of Mandarin-speaking elderly as well. It's really good effort on the part of SPH and Philwinds,Singapore.

After dinner, we went for a late dinner at Gluttons Square where we shared a table with this American couple who were in town for the airshow where we shared about Singapore. I always find it interesting, sometimes amusing to hear foreigners tell me how interesting and beautiful Singapore is. There must be elements of truth to it, I believe. But because we are born and bred here, we have grown immune to many things. It is good to have others remind us how fortunate we are to be living here. It was definitely a tiring day, but a refreshing change to our usual mundane life. Happy V day peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment