Saturday, December 3, 2011

Art Jamming

with my favourite cousins! Arteastique is a unique restaurant cum art jamming venue at the heart of town. It was a race against time to complete a 50x50 canvas in 1 hour. Luckily, we came rather prepared. At least we knew what we wanted to paint. And I had to change plans at the eleventh hour when I realized how difficult it was to execute my original plan. But it doesn't matter, as long as I am satisfied with the end product. The whole session was quite entertaining actually. Besides chatting with each other and bonding over painting, we had the opportunity to 'eavesdrop' on other's conversations as well. One memorable one would be the 2 boys who were sitting opposite us. The brothers were forced to come by their parents and the older boy was complaining the whole time. His vented his frustrations on his painting and had his entire canvas splashed with black paint and he was angrily dotting and hitting at his canvas. When his parents came to pick him up some time later, they were full of praise for his painting and commented that it truly reflected his emotions. Haha.. It was quite funny!

On another note, I felt somewhat like an exhibit in a zoo as passers-by stood by the glass window peering at us paint and even took pictures of us! Not that I am conscious of myself or my painting; but it just feels strange.

Us at work:
My masterpiece. Edgar Degas says, "Art is not what you see, but what you make others see". Do you see what I see?? Anyway, the piece is titled "Le Chat Parisien".

Art jamming is becoming increasingly popular in Singapore as more people are exposed to the world of art. Point in reference: the popularity of the Affordable Art Fair that ended its 2nd run in Singapore a few weekends ago. Anyway, it is a really cool avenue to bond with one another. Maybe one day, it can be an option for teambuilding programmes. You never know. We really should do this again, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment