Monday, May 16, 2011

Prawn Decadence

The weather is so freaking hot these days that I haven't got much appetite to eat. I came across this particular recipe on the Sunday Times over the weekend and decided to give it a try. Very simple and it doesn't take a professional chef to get it right. I made some changes to the recipe provided simply because I couldn't get some of the ingredients recommended, but it's ok. Here we go:

Ingredients: (Makes four buns)
500 g prawns
1 mango or avocado
1 cucumber (preferably the Japanese kind)
Mayonnaise (preferably the Kewpie brand but I used Kraft for this)
A loaf of hotdog buns
A pinch of salt

Optional:
Chili powder
Salmon roe

Steps:
First, bring the water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt to the water. While the water is boiling, wash the prawns under running water (with shells on). Once the water boils, put the prawns in until prawns turn red. If you want the prawns to be crunchy, dunk the prawns into icy cold water once out of the pot.

Next, while waiting for the prawns to cool, cut mango or avocado and cucumber into cubes. I used mango this time round cos its now mango season and there is no better time to bite into India's king of fruits. Once this is done, de-shell the prawns and throw everything (prawns, mango/avocado and cucumber) into a big bowl.

After which, add mayonnaise to the ingredients. I used 2 table spoonfuls of mayonnaise but felt that the amount could be reduced for a healthier toss. Mix the mayonnaise with all the ingredients well. Then refrigerate for later use. In my case, I left the entire bowl in the fridge overnight so that I can use it for breakfast the next morning.

And when you rise and shine the next day, it only takes a jiffy for you to stuff the fillings into a hotdog bun. Voila! Here's your hearty and refreshing breakfast. Definitely a great dish to kickstart your day.

Bon Appetit! Hope you enjoy the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment