Sunday, April 4, 2010

Tiffany keys


Can't believe that I have finally made up my mind to buy a Tiffany key. There are so many of them that I never manage to decide which one to get whenever I visit the store.

In many cultures, the key is symbolic in many ways. A quick check on the Internet shows that in the Greek culture, the key symbolises knowledge. In the culture which I grew up in, a pendant in the shape of a key is typically given to someone when she reaches 21. It is to symbolise adulthood and the right to one's freedom. To some, such symbolism and ideals are a little too outdated in the twenty-first century, but to me, it still holds strong. Having said that, I think it is quite commendable of Tiffany to break all these old-age notions of what a key pendant means. Just as when such pendants are dying out in traditional goldsmiths, Tiffany has managed to revive it and bring to it another meaning - making it a fashion statement more than anything else. Personally, I don't see myself as one who follows fads and fashion blindly, but the key pendant always has such a special allure that I can never resist. It is such a classic piece that I believe can be passed down from generation to generation. It is not about the absolute value of the piece; but rather the meaning and symbolism that it holds. Seeing the key in my hand just makes my day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment